You are currently browsing the monthly archive for September 2011.

image

This year I decided to try raising herbs.  Some did quite well, some not so well.  Here is a picture from my first harvest, all bundled up and ready to dry.
Front to back: Rosemary, Greek Oregano, Boxwood Basil, Sage and Chives.

More information to come later, I have to get ready to go to work now.

Posted from WordPress for Android

image

Almost two years ago I was lucky enough to win on Ebay a group of reputabley late Roman era spindle whorls.  There were 17 items in the box I received, most were objects that were, undoubtedly to me, spindle whorls and one loom weight. 

Since then I have spent a good amount of time working on referbishing the spindle whorls with shafts to remake functioning Roman era spindles.

The picture included in this post are the functioning spindles from that group.  On each I tested the same Coopworth roving from Hearts on the Meadow Farm to determine consistency.  With some minor tweaking all but one are fully functional as drop spindles, some if the lighter ones could possibly function as support spindles. 

One of the spindles, the one with the smallest whorl, does not currently have the weight to function as a drop spindle.  I was able to use it laying on my thigh to roll in twist and parking it while drafting.  Perhaps with more weight it will work as a drop spindle.  I also need more practice support spindling to determine if it will function properly.  When my husband looked at the whorl his impression was button or bead, which it may well be.  Time, and further experimentation will tell. 

One thing this experiment really helped me with:  I used to have a mental block of sorts on the thought of spinning, not supported, on a spindle with a tapering shaft.  I couldn’t get passed the idea that the half-hitch would just slip off. Designing shafts for several of the whorls I made shafts that tapered to a point, to mimic several spindles in the Petrie Museum.  While testing I was able to spin very fine singles using a half hitch to hold the thread to the spindle and there was no slipping.  Block overcame.  🙂

Posted from WordPress for Android

image

Yesterday was the 10th anniversary if the day my husband and I got married.  As it worked out his present to me will be a Mossie spindle by Jonathan Bosworth (as in it’s due to be shipped any day now, and I do not mind the wait) I was trying to think of something special to get or make him for our anniversary.

I found out that the traditional gifts for a 10th anniversary are aluminum and tin.  After pondering briefly learning casting (which still intimidates me) I remembered that the silver tone wire I use for wire weaving is aluminium.  I sat down one night and made him this Thor’s Hammer. 

He was exceptionally pleased. 😀

Posted from WordPress for Android