You are currently browsing the monthly archive for July 2012.

I was able to do some more bone work this week. Using a combination of hand tools and power tools I finished shaping and drilling out a diz from a section of deer skull.

A diz is a tool used by spinners to draft a consistent thickness of combed fiber before spinning.  This helps ensure the singles being spun are uniform in thickness so there aren’t any subs in the yarn.  I have heard of a French book that contains medieval diz’ but I haven’t seen any my self.  I think in the later period, when production spinning was done by guilds, diz could have been used to ensure consistency in product.

image

Hmmm.  Those holes look awfully small in that picture… And the pic is upside down…

It’s hard to see in this pic but there were some light veining marks on the disc that made it look like a peace symbol.  Kinda neat in that.  All that is left is the final polishing and adding a ring to the hole closest to the edge for mounting on a chatelaine chain.

I also took part of a leg bone and tried to work out a primitive lucet tool.

image

I used a cope saw to cut off the jagged end where my dog had been chewing on it.  The cut section will be used for more needles and possibly a hair pin.  Then I put it in the vice to begin the shaping…

image

Yep, it broke… Into pieces…  Bah!  Well, hope is not all lost, I hope to continue with one of the cross sections and turn out a tool suitable for lucet.  The rest of the bits will go into other projects.  I’m thinking the top piece will be nice engraved and made into a pendant. 

Advertisements

image

Sunday I purchased some plaid wool material at the Fayetteville antique mall.  It’s 60″ wide, about 2 yards long garment weight.  It will be a multi purpose item, shawl/short bog dress so I decided to just hem the raw edges.   I used one of the bone needles I made and some hand spun wool thread to stitch it up.  The needle is less than 2″ long.  This needle was cut from a piece of deer bone then ground to shape on sandstone and slate.  The eye was drilled with a small pocket knife.